Saturday, August 20, 2011

1987 Trek 1000


Facts about the old classic aluminum frame trek bicycles link here.

Parts list:

Bontrager handlebar gel tape.
Cateye Enduro 8 cycling computer.
Suntour Cyclone 7000 front and real derailleurs.
Suntour 6 speed freewheel.
Decals: Trek (white with gold streamers.)
Down Tube Shifters: Suntour Cyclone 7000 (black/gray.)
Side Pull Breaks: Dia-Comp Alpha-Tau 400 (black with white lettering.) Date Stamp B86.
SR Sakae "250" Oval Tech chain wheel rings: 52-42.
Matrix Titan S Wheels. Made by Tru America, Waterloo, Wisconsin. (black rims)
Trek TX Aluminum Alloy Tubing.
Paint: metallic gray/gloss black.
Pedals: Shimano 105.

Here are some updated photographs of my 1987 Trek 1000 Aluminum Tube Bicycle. The bicycle has one drawback, poor acceleration off the line, and the SR Oval Tech chain wheels are difficult to adjust to, but they were in vogue once. Compare to Shimano Biopace. At a certain point in the stroke, the oval wheels were supposed to increase power from a 52 to 53, or a 42 to a 43. I doubt whether an increase in power is helpful on a difficult mountain climb, and there have been suggestions of knee damage with oval chain wheels.

This bike is in excellent condition and has received many flattering complements from people. Yes, the bicycle and the Matrix wheel set are original and were built in the United States of America at Waterloo, Wisconsin. Nowadays, Trek is a huge behemoth and the lower end Trek bicycles are built in China.  Bikezilla thinks the imported 1000's are junk.

Aluminum frames have a very short lifespan, about five years. Every time I rebuild an old bike it is like rolling the dice, you never know when the frame will break, you never know what people did to the bike before you found it, and believe me, I have had steel frames break at the most unexpected moments. But as Tommy Simpson says, get off the pavement, dust yourself off, and "put me back on my bloody bike."













Notice the Shimano 105 pedals and the beautiful, exceptional paint job.



Notice the unique front derailleur mount.  Two hex screws inserted into the seat tube.  Suntour Cyclone 7000 derailluer.  Matrix Titan S Wheels.



Trek TX Aluminum Alloy Tubing




SR "250" Oval Tech Chain rings 52-42 and Suntour Cyclone 7000 Front derailleur.






The classic steering tube Trek logo.




White decals with gold streamers. Down tube shifters. Suntour Cyclone 7000.



Suntour cyclone 7000 real derailleur and Suntour 6 speed freewheel.



The cockpit.  Bontranger gel tape.  Cateye Enduro 8 Cycling computer.


Aluminum spelled out across the top tube, 1000 on the chain stay.



The side pull breaks are Dia-Comp Alpha-II, black with white lettering.

Thanks for looking at my steed!  Have a nice bicycle ride today!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I was wandering around the web and found your blog. Was very surprised to find pics of your bike as I just happened to own two of these. I'm very curious to find out if you still have this bike, if it's for sale and what the serial number is. I've been riding mine in Kansas City since 2009 and its serial number is 269270. Just last month I took a trip to Sacramento and found one on CraigsList whose serial number is 269272. Relaxin@hotmail.com

velovortmax said...

Victor:

Your bike is identical to mine, but it is a 1987 Trek 1000 and not a 1986. Trek did not make an aluminum 1000 in 1986.

The serial number on my bike starts at 29****, so I do not own the bike you are looking for, sorry.

Have a nice ride today!



heathwiseman said...

Hello fellows, very interesting blog here. I also have the identical bike to this one! I'm sorta surprised to see it's from the late 80's. I thought it was maybe 5-10 years younger at least. This makes me like and want to take care of it much more!! Thanks for the info I don't know my serial number at the moment but if you tell me where to look I'd be more than happy to tell you it! Look forward to hearing from you!

velovortmax said...

Healthwiseman:

The serial number is stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket next to the cable guide. The serial number is six digits, such as 269270.

Have a nice ride today!

Unknown said...

Just picked one of these up at Goodwill with no front wheel for $6.99 😀. Excellent condition, just needed cables and tape. Found a wheel on CL, but it's not a Matrix. Still quite happy with it.